Over the years, at GreenWood Forest Park we have been recognised with many different awards, covering both tourism and the environment. Read on for the full story.
The story began in 1993 when husband and wife Stephen and Andrea Bristow started “The GreenWood Centre”. At that time all that stood was the Great Hall, with the Park known as an education centre teaching people about nature and wildlife. The Great Hall was bulit by Adam Heath, you can read the story of the build here
Fast forward 23 years and it has become what we know today as GreenWood Forest Park, a great place for family days out, welcoming thousands of visitors each year.
GreenWood Forest Park’s landscape may have changed but the ethos behind the company has not. The owners and team are still passionate about being kind to nature and to this day, all the rides and activities require your energy to make them work, including the world famous people powered roller-coaster.
Take a look at a timeline of the Park’s history here. – 23 year timeline
At GreenWood, we are very proud of our awards.
- North Wales Tourism Awards 2016 – Tourism Business Innovation Award
- North Wales Tourism Awards 2016 – Green Award
- 2016 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2016 Listed 8th Best Amusement Park in the UK in the Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
- 2015 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2015 Listed 4th Best Amusement Park in the UK & 20th Best in Europe in the Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
- 2014 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2014 Listed in the ten top amusement Parks in the UK in the Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
- 2013 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2012 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2012 Rural Wales Award
- 2011 North Wales Chronicle “Best Family Attraction”
- 2010 Best Family Day out in Wales (Finalist)
- 2010 Wildlife Garden of the Year
- 2009 Gwynedd Business Person of the Year
- 2008 Daily Post Small Business of the Year
- 2008 Green Dragon Environmental Standard Level 2
- 2007 National Sustainable Tourism Award (finalist)
- 2007 Tourism Entrepreneur of the Year (Finalist)
- 2005 Global Responsible Tourism Award
- 2005 Sustainable Tourism Award (Finalist)
- 2002 Forests and People Award
- 1993 Prince of Wales Award
MBEs for services to tourism
An award of which both Stephen and Andrea are particularly proud, is gaining their MBEs in 2009, granted for services to tourism in North Wales.
Andrea remembers the event well, “Amongst the many recipients to receive an MBE on that day, we were the only couple and had a private practice session to ensure our curtsy and bow were synchronised.”
“Prince Charles spoke a few words to us both and we invited His Royal Highness to visit GreenWood Forest Park. There was also an orchestra playing during the investiture. We thoroughly enjoyed the occasion and had a celebration meal with our families afterwards.”